Welcome to fall and winter! This is the season of many holidays and unfortunately, colds and flu which aren’t so welcome. Here I will give you 5 simple steps you can take right now to help you stay healthy this season. Enjoy your holidays in good health!
1. Eat plenty of fruits and veggies. Yes, I know you know this. So eat them, really! They are a great source of natural vitamin C. Vitamin C really boosts immunity and fights illness, a two for one deal! Kiwis contain more than 100% of your daily need. Bell peppers are another good source and have more C than oranges do. That isn’t all of course, but this isn’t a nutrition lecture, at least not a long one!
2. Check your vitamin D levels. Many people today are deficient in vitamin D. Vitamin D levels that are in a healthy range (60–80 ng/ml) get fewer colds and flu. Your doctor can find this out on a simple blood test. Supplements are an easy way to improve your levels if needed.
3. Decrease sugar! When you eat sugar it competes with vitamin C and it slows down the activity of your immune cells for an hour or more.
4. Take a good quality multivitamin. This provides your body and immune system with many of the essential nutrients you can’t get from food alone in most cases.
5. Take a supplement – my favorite immune boosting herb is elderberry. This actually fights off viruses and is delicious, kids like it too! Other good herbs are astragalus, and mushrooms such as shitake and maitake. It just takes a small dose every day.
These are just a few ways to keep yourself and your family healthy this season, there are many more possibilities as well. What are your favorites?